5 Factors to Consider when Buying a Samurai Sword
Buying a high quality samurai sword is a lifetime event. However, you need to consider a set of important details before making this purchase to ensure that you are making the right choice. This authentic weapon is in high demand, and that’s why there are many fakes that should be avoided at all cost.
- Steel. It is the most important consideration when shopping for samurai swords. Make sure that it is durable and strong. Keep in mind that it is a fine grain that helps people create the strongest blade that is less prone to any possible breakage and deflection.
- Forging. All samurai swords come forged. There are some companies that offer the ones that do not have a forged blade. Buying one of them is a poor idea because you are going to waste your money. The best thing about this process is that it helps craftsmen create a unique blade.
- Heat treating. Do not forget that all authentic samurai swords must have a heat treated edge. Pay attention to the pattern you see at their sharpened edge because it has a unique signature of this process. You should avoid buying the weapon that comes with a chemical etching because it only offers a cosmetic look but not the original one.
- Shapes and designs. They should always be historically correct. It is possible to choose from a wide range of styles, such as katana and wakizashi. Take time to learn more about each one to pick the best one based on your needs and personal likes. The shape of each authentic samurai sword determines its cutting performance, balance and strength.
- The right balance. There are many people who overlook this important factor when looking for such swords. Think about it as their functionality. Unfortunately, most of modern designed are not created with this function in mind, so that they can’t withstand a lot of stress and strains. You won’t be able to use them for effective practicing.
- Polishes. Polishing the steel of samurai swords provides them with their final shape. This factor also determined the success of this weapon in the end. This process may take a lot of time and power, and all surfaces must be refined. The main problem is that most modern swords are finished by machines, and that’s why they can’t offer enough efficiency and beauty, unlike the hand-crafted ones. This is how you will get the best sword.